Dante Alighieri Alighieri was the first owner of this house with tower and land which became, trought successive transformations, what is now Villa Poeta. In 1332 the house of the great poet was sold to the Portinari family. Throughout the centuries the Villa passed from one family to another, every time enjoying new modifications and improvements respecting its traditions, In the 19th century the Villa was completely restored and as a homage to the father of Italian language, two marble rounds with the profile of Dante and Beatrice were inserted at both sides of the “portone”. During the second World War the Villa il Poeta – then used as a hospital – was devastated in a bombing. But yet again, thanks to loving care of Count Pier Francesco Rimbotti, who bought the collapsing walls and the debris, the old building was given a new life. In little time the Villa went back to being that pleasant residence from where it is possible to admire one of the most inspiring views of Florence.
Disclaimer: Pins in map may not be accurate if Google Maps cannot find the exact address. In this case an approximation is made.