Situated majestically on a flourishing hillock bathed in rich vegetation, Pooja Kanda is a tranquil five-bedroom hideaway that’s just five minutes inland from the beach at Koggala on Sri Lanka’s golden southern coast.
Spread over two floors and between two buildings closely attached by a walkway, Pooja Kanda hosts five bedrooms, plentiful living and dining space, an air-conditioned TV room and an equipped kitchen overlooking the swimming pool. Each of the bedrooms gazes over the garden through arched doors and picture windows whilst the ground floor living areas overflow graciously onto a veranda that encircles the house.
Beside the swimming pool is a veranda furnished with sun loungers for topping up your tan under the warm tropical sun. To the far side of the swimming pool, across the top of a waterfall feature, is a small circular table in a verdant jungle setting. Stone steps just behind here lead up to the highest rocky outcrop where a built-in seat is designed for quiet moments.
This property is perfect for families and groups seeking a secluded base close to Galle. Lie back on the shallow pool ledge and let your worries drift away under the meditative gaze of the elephant god Ganesh, or find your own peaceful hideaway in one of the trio of furnished alcoves within the expansive wrap-around balcony upstairs.
- Pooja Kanda’s tranquility is further enhanced by a garden bursting with birdsong and enlivened by visits from inquisitive monkeys high up in the trees.
Separated from the living room by a low wall is an intimate fan-cooled dining room with marble-topped table for eight that’s beautifully laid for sumptuous mealtimes. A second dining area is found on the back veranda beside the swimming pool where a hexagonal table for six is ideal for relaxed daytime dining. The kitchen is fully-equipped for the western cook.
Lavish villa in Sri Lanka with private pool and surrounded by beautiful gardens Location and other villas and tours nearby
Lavish villa in Sri Lanka with private pool and surrounded by beautiful gardens is one of our
Sri Lanka Luxury Rentals .
View Guide to
Sri Lanka Luxury Vacations
Disclaimer: Pins in map may not be accurate if Google Maps cannot find the exact address. In this case an approximation is made.
Pooja Kanda sits on the top of a jungly hillock near Koggala, encircled at the bottom - almost invisibly - by local village homes that appear to blend into the rich green tapestry of vegetation.
Activities / What to do there?
- Head to Koggala Beach for a long walk along its seemingly endless golden sand.
- Take a late afternoon boat trip atop the glorious Koggala Lagoon to look for birds, visit spice gardens, watch fishermen and experience the sun setting over the water whilst slowly meandering this picturesque waterway.
- Also in Koggala is a turtle hatchery that the kids will love. For a small fee you can admire the resident turtles and even watch as the hatchlings are released into the sea.
- Visit Unawatuna Bay for a relaxing bathe on a curve of milky white beach. Many rustic restaurants, coffee shops and bars can all be found here and they all offer a little diversion from the irresistible draw of the warm turquoise sea.
- Experience the living museum that is Galle Fort by taking a relaxing wander around the charming backstreets of this UNESCO listed fortress; stop and chat with locals, admire the fort’s many heritage buildings, visit the growing collection of boutiques and finish off by watching life playing out on top of the ramparts at sunset.
- Take a trip into Galle town to take in the multi-sensorial spectacle of the fish, fruit and vegetable markets and browse the colourful roadside wares of peddlers on its buzzing Main Street.
- Embark on a scenic bicycle ride through the emerald green paddy fields of Galle’s hinterland with Idle Tours. Enjoy the ride at your own pace and gain a unique perspective of village life. End up at the beach with a glorious cool down swim.
Accommodation & Layout
Pooja Kanda’s five bedrooms are all air-conditioned and feature romantic four-poster beds (king-size in all but one room) dressed in the crispest cotton sheets and canopied by soft linen mosquito nets.
The spacious master bedroom and the adjacent queen-bedded guestroom are located on the ground floor, where they overlook the lush garden, open onto the rear veranda and benefit from newly upgraded bathrooms finished in smooth terrazzo and fitted with hot water showers (plus a tub in the case of the master bedroom). The master bedroom is furnished with a writing desk, a wardrobe and a tangerine sofa for private relaxation.
On the first floor, accessed via a winding staircase, are three further guestrooms encircled by a balcony. Little spots for reading are found along this shaded walkway – the most private belonging to the bedroom at the top of the stairs, which is also the largest of the three. Light and airy with arched doors that liberally invite in the views, these bedrooms come with built-in shelves for storing belongings and tiled ensuite bathrooms with twin sinks, bidets and hot water showers.
What's Included / Staff & Amenities
- Villa manager (offsite)
- Air conditioning
- Swimming Pool
- Washing Machine
- TV (Satellite/Cable)
- Baby Cot
- Bed Linen
- Board Games/Toys
- Car Parking
- Ceiling Fans
- Dining (8 persons)
- Equipped Kitchen
- Stereo System
What we can arrange for you
A driver and car can be arranged with advance notice for airport transfers, local tours and onward travel.
Pooja Kanda’s privacy, delightfully relaxed ambiance and generous outdoor space make it a wonderful place for hosting informal drinks gatherings and dinner parties of up to 25 people.
If you’re in need of some pampering, and don’t wish to leave the privacy and serenity of the house, our staff will arrange for a trained masseur to come to the property at a prearranged time at your request.
Near by tours and activities