- Spectacular game drives in a private reserve within Kruger National Park
- Enjoying “ sundowners” and a candlelit dinner under the stars
- Driving the Garden route with lunch in scenic Knysna
- Viewing Capetown from Table Mountain on your own private tour
Day 1 Depart USA
Your adventure begins as you depart the USA bound for South Africa and you arrive in Johannesburg the following day.
Day 2 Arrival In Johannesburg
Upon your afternoon arrival in Johannesburg you will be met by your guide and personally escorted to your hotel which is situated within a short distance of the airport. Fairlawns is a delightful property where all rooms are suites identified by individual names You enjoy a fine dinner in the restaurant before turning in for a good night's rest.
Day 3 Mpumalanga and Kruger National Park
Awaking refreshed, you enjoy breakfast then your guide escorts you back to the airport for the short flight to Mpumalanga, the gateway to Kruger National Park. Upon arrival you are transferred to Kings Camp where you are in time for an afternoon game drive followed by cocktails and dinner with wine.
Day 4 Game Viewing in Kruger
Kings Camp is a private reserve within Kruger National Park, in fact, it was the first such reserve to be created, and offers old world luxury along with outstanding game viewing. Your morning game drive starts at around 5AM which is when the animals get up. It is also a cool part of the day. Upon completion of the game viewing, you return to the lodge for a hearty breakfast. Like the animals, you take a rest during the heat of the day. For you, it is lying by the pool, going to the spa or enjoying a leisurely lunch, a nice nap then a quick dip in your own private plunge pool. In the afternoon, you go on a second game drive where you head up into the bush for a different type of game viewing and a spectacular sundowner location. Another superb dinner with wine follows.
Day 5 From Kruger to Shamwari Reserve
After your morning game drive you will transfer to the airport for the flight to Port Elizabeth via Johannesburg. Upon arrival you will be transferred to Shamwari Game Reserve a 44,000 acre private game reserve dedicated to re-invigorating many animal breeds in their natural environment. A branch of the Born Free foundation is established here and you will have the opportunity to see the big five plus other species like wild dogs. Upon arrival you will be escorted to Bayethe Tented Lodge which is made up of nine air-conditioned luxury tents with viewing deck and a private plunge pool. You have an afternoon game drive followed by dinner overlooking the river.
Day 6 Shamwari Game Reserve
After an early cup of tea or coffee you will set off for an morning game drive as the animals begin their search for breakfast. Although the reserve is large, the rangers in each of the individual camps are in constant communication so the chances of seeing the "big five" are good on one of the drives. You return to camp for breakfast and the chance to relax during the heat of the day. In the afternoon you go out for another game drive followed by "sundowners" and a candlelit dinner.
Day 7 A Shamwari Walking Safari
Instead of a game drive this morning you will head out with your ranger to view the flora and the fauna on foot. As a precaution, the ranger is armed but the animals are never a problem and it does give you the chance to study the unique trees and plants and the birdlife. In the evening you will again opt for your open land rover as you pursue sightings of any of the major animals not previously seen. After sundowners at a scenic spot your guide will turn on a low intensity spotlight to help you view animals in their nocturnal habitat. You then return to the lodge for a fine dinner and the animals get a chance to view you in your nocturnal habitat.
Day 8 Taking the Garden Route to Cape Town
After breakfast your driver will pick you up for the full day drive along the Garden Route to Cape Town. As you move west, the Indian Ocean will be on your left and you will pass miles of beautiful beaches, hills and fishing villages. You will stop for lunch in Knysna one of the more scenic towns along the way before arriving in Cape Town and your hotel which is world-renowned. Situated at the foot of Table Mountain, the Mount Nelson has included the likes of Winston Churchill as guests and now welcomes you. Tonight you will dine in the hotel's famed Cape Colony dining room.
Day 9 Exploring the Cape Peninsula
After breakfast, your driver will pick you up for a full day tour of the Cape Peninsula. You head south and following the Atlantic coastline visiting the seaside towns of Hout Bay and Camps Bay. After lunch you traverse Chapman Peak Drive and Table Mountain National Park before ending up at the Boulders Penguin colony. This evening you will enjoy dinner on the water at the Victoria & Alfred waterfront.
Day 10 Touring the Winelands
East of the city lies the heart of the South African wine industry since the 16th Century. The three main towns in the areas are Paarl, Stellenbosch and Franschhoek. You will visit each town and taste some of the local wines and enjoy a vineyard lunch. You will spend the evening at a delightful hotel located in Franschhoek where you have a chance to explore the town before enjoying a delicious dinner matched with the appropriate wines.
Day 11 Return to USA
After a leisurely breakfast you are driven to the airport for the flight to Johannesburg where you connect with your US bound flight.
Day 12 Arrival in the USA
You arrive back in the USA in the afternoon.
Available Year Round
Private Tour with Safari - Introduction to South Africa ULSA02 Location and other villas and tours nearby
Disclaimer: Pins in map may not be accurate if Google Maps cannot find the exact address. In this case an approximation is made.
Tour Location / Places Visiteds
Johannesburg, Timbavati Private Nature Reserve, Shamwari, Cape Town
Additional Pricing Information
- All air transportation as part of the program offered including private and charter aircraft. (On those programs requiring private aircraft flights, you will be limited to 33lbs of luggage which can be stored in the safari luggage which we provide to you. Additional luggage will be stored for you for the rest of your trip. In the private camps, daily laundry is available (and, in most cases included).
- Luxury rail travel as indicated
- Superior Rooms at the properties indicated in the accommodations area (We reserve the right to substitute a property of equal quality in advance of departure should the designated hotel be unavailable)
- On Safari, only private camps are used and include all meals and all game viewing in most camps, house beer, wine, spirits and soft drinks (indicated on itinerary)
- Private Transfers to and from the airport at destination
- All meals as indicated on the itinerary by B=Breakfast, L=Lunch and D=Dinner
- Private guides for city explorations and private driver/guide while traveling.
- Baggage handling at all hotels and camps
- All applicable taxes and service fees
Services Not Included
- All air transportation as part of the program offered including private and charter aircraft. (On
- Beverages with included meals (unless otherwise indicated on itinerary page)
- Any meals not indicated on the Itinerary page
- Items of a personal nature e.g. minibar, film, postcards etc.
- Gratuities to Guides and Driver/Guides (we provide suggested guidelines for your selected destination in your pre-departure material)
- Any passport or visa fees or government departure taxes (It is the traveler’s responsibility to secure the latest information regarding passports and visa requirements)