Day 1 Depart USA
- Watching the cutting and polishing of “pigeon-blood rubies” in Rangoon
- Watching the sun set over the 2,000 pagodas in Bagan
- Taking the opportunity to explore Bagan by horse-drawn cart
- Sitting on a comfortable deck chair, steward at hand, watching the river life flow by.
You board your aircraft for the overnight flight to Myanmar (Burma) and its capital, Yangon (Rangoon)
Day 2 En Route
During your flight you will cross the International Date Line technically "losing" a day but you will regain it on your return flight.
Day 3 Welcome to Bangkok
After passing through arrival formalities you will be met and transferred by private car to your deluxe hotel considered to be one of the world's best. You'll have dinner at the hotel before getting a good night's rest.
Day 3 Arrival in Rangoon
Upon arrival in Yangon you will be met by your guide who will facilitate the collection of luggage and the transfer to your car which will take you to your landmark hotel. Yangon, formerly known as Rangoon, was founded by King Alaungpaya on the site of a small town called Dagon when he conquered lower Myanmar in 1755. He changed its name to Yangon, which means "end of Strife" but was anglicized as Rangoon by the British when they annexed Myanmar in 1885. It is still a relatively quiet and charming city. Moreover its colonial and spiritual heritage makes it one of the most fascinating and authentic capitals of South East Asia. Enjoy a quiet dinner in your hotel's renowned restaurant.
Day 4 Touring Rangoon
In the morning, your guide will be waiting to take you on a private tour of Yangon. Your first stop will be the National Museum. You then continue to the immense Bogyoke Market formerly known as Scott's Market which provides a glimpse at Burma's colonial past but with a wide variety of Burmese handicrafts. After lunch at Padonmar Restaurant you have the opportunity to visit a traditional jewelry and gemstone workshop. Here you can observe the cutting and polishing of Burma's most precious stones including the famous pigeon-blood ruby. You then continue to the centre of the city and the golden Sule pagoda which you visit before taking a stroll around the Mahabandoola Park to see the colonial courthouse and city hall. You finish your tour with a walk through colorful Chinatown and visit one of Rangoon's Chinese temples. This evening enjoy a special dinner at Le Planteur, considered to be the country's best restaurant.
Day 5 Bagan and”The Road to Mandalay”
You have an early morning flight to Bagan, the city of 2,000 pagodas mostly painted in red and white. Upon arrival you are transferred to your deluxe river cruise ship owned and operated by Orient Express. The ship has four decks, a gourmet restaurant, Piano Bar, Boutique, Library and a spacious lounge. After boarding and check-in you have lunch then join your ship's guide for an orientation tour of the city culminating in a view of the sun setting over the pagodas. Dinner and entertainment on board this evening
Day 6 Bagan/ Cruising
This morning, still docked in Bagan you are given the opportunity to explore some of Bagan's local markets selling wood carvings, fabrics, longis and rattan goods. You also have the chance to see Burmese lacquerware being made. Mid morning the ship begins its cruise north towards Mandalay. You can relax on the Observation deck complete with swimming pool, bar and sun deck as the fascinating river life glides by. The ship moors mid-river for the evening and a casual cocktail party is followed by dinner
Day 7 Cruising/Sagaing
We set sail as you enjoy breakfast and cruise all morning. After lunch you arrive at Sagaing, considered to be the living centre of the Buddhist faith in Burma and famous for its silversmiths who still work in much the same way as their ancestors did.
Day 8 Mingun/Mandalay
After breakfast you ferry ashore to the town of Mingun home of the world's largest uncracked bell and the Hsinbyume pagoda. After lunch you enjoy a guided tour of Mandalay regarded as the center of Burmese culture and Buddhist learning. You celebrate your farewell dinner on board this evening
Day 9 Mandalay to Rangoon
After an early breakfast, disembark from the Road to Mandalay and meet your guide and driver who will be at your disposal to take you to lunch and any where you wish to go in the city until it is time to go to the airport for the flight to Rangoon. Upon arrival in Rangoon you are met by your guide and escorted to your hotel, built in 1901 and with a long tradition of gracious elegance. Enjoy some of that elegance at dinner this evening.
Day 10 Depart for USA
Your driver and guide are at your disposal in Rangoon for last minute sightseeing and shopping before flying to Bangkok. Upon arrival in Bangkok you are escorted by our representative to a hotel at the airport where you have dinner and spend the night.
Day 11 Return to USA
Since you are already at the airport, you have the chance to have a leisurely breakfast before meeting your guide who will assist you with the transfer to the airport and check-in. You regain the day lost previously arriving back the same afternoon.
Private Sightseeing Tour - The Road to Mandalay ULTH16 Location and other villas and tours nearby
Disclaimer: Pins in map may not be accurate if Google Maps cannot find the exact address. In this case an approximation is made.
Tour Location / Places Visiteds
Yangon (Rangoon), Irriwaddy River, Yangon (Rangoon), Suvarnabhumi Airport
Additional Pricing Information
- Superior Rooms at the properties indicated in the accommodations area (We reserve the right to substitute a property of equal quality in advance of departure should the designated hotel be unavailable)
- Private Transfers to and from the airport at destination
- All meals as indicated on the itinerary by B=Breakfast, L=Lunch and D=Dinner
- Private guides for city explorations and private driver/guide while traveling.
- Entrance fees to all museums, attractions and other venues as indicated on the daily itinerary
- Baggage handling at all hotels
- All applicable taxes and service fees
What's Not Included
- International airfare (round-trip from hometown departure gateway to destination)
- Beverages with included meals (unless otherwise indicated on itinerary page)
- Any meals not indicated on the Itinerary page
- Items of a personal nature e.g. minibar, film, postcards etc.
- Gratuities to Guides and Driver/Guides (we provide suggested guidelines for your selected destination in your pre-departure material)
- Any passport or visa fees or government departure taxes (It is the traveler’s responsibility to secure the latest informationregarding passports and visa requirements)