Day 1 Depart USA
- Seeing Orang Utans eye to eye on the island of Borneo
- Visiting the longhouses in Sarawak, home to former headhunters
- Staying in a rain forest in a luxury resort
- View the Brunei Royal Palace, the world’s largest residential palace with 1,788 rooms
We board our trans-pacific flight bound for Kuala Lumpur, capital of Malaysia
Day 2 En Route
Cross the International Date Line and "lose" a day, but gain it back on the return trip
Day 3 Arrival in Kuala Lumpur
Upon arrival in Kuala Lumpur we are met by our driver and taken in style to our hotel. We have a light dinner before catching up on our sleep and getting ready for the events ahead
Day 4 Kuala Lumpur to Kota Kinabalu
After breakfast our driver will be ready to take us to the airport for the flight to Kota Kinabalu which is in the Sabah province of Malaysia on the island of Borneo. Upon arrival we transfer to our deluxe resort managed by the Shangri-La chain. After settling in we have time for a swim before dinner.
Day 5 Mt. Kinabalu and the Kinabalu National Park
Our sightseeing today takes us to the foothills of Mt. Kinabalu, the third highest mountain in South East Asia. Nestling in the foothills is the National Park which is a UNESCO world heritage site and the home to abundant flora from Australia, Asia and other parts. After exploring the park we return to the resort for lunch and a free afternoon.
Day 6 Sepilok Orang Utan Sanctuary
The Sepilok Orang Utan Rehabilitation Centre was established in 1964 to rehabilitate orphaned baby Orang Utans Visitors are restricted to walkways but we are able to get close to these shy and gentle distant relatives. We return to the resort where we might consider a massage or a dip in the ocean.
Day 7 Flight to Bandar Seri Begawan
This morning we will transfer to the airport for the brief flight to Bandar Seri Begawan the capital of Brunei which has been ruled by the same family for over 400 years. At one time, the Sultanate controlled all of Borneo and parts of the Philippines but colonial powers, particularly the British, diminished the size and scope of the country. Oil-Rich, the country became independent in the 1960's. Upon arrival we will be taken on a private tour of the city before arriving at our hotel.
Day 8 Brunei to Sarawak
In the morning we will continue our exploration of Brunei before heading to the airport for the flight to Kuching the main city in the State of Sarawak. Upon arrival we will be driven to out deluxe eco-resort built in the typical longhouse style in a rain forest.
Day 9 Rain forest, Headhunters and Longhouses
Today we will explore the surrounding areas, visiting a community of indigenous people who, in the past, were headhunters. More refined today, they show us their communal living in the famous Sarawak "longhouses". We also have a chance to explore the rain forest that surrounds our Resort.
Day 10 Kuching to Penang
After a leisurely breakfast, we are transferred to the airport for the flight to Penang where we are met by our driver and taken to our hotel. After we have had a chance to freshen up, our guide will take us to one of the island's best restaurants for dinner.
Day 11 Georgetown and the E & O
From its original founding in 1885 the Eastern & Oriental has been a favored resort of world luminaries including Noel Coward, Douglas Fairbanks, Rudyard Kipling and Somerset Maugham. Despite all its modern amenities, including a swimming pool overlooking the ocean, the hotel has a respect for heritage including a butler assigned to every room. We have reserved suites for our stay in the hotel and our visit to Penang. Today's morning tour will give us an overview of the island from historic Georgetown, its capital, to the surrounding countryside. Tonight we enjoy the nightlife of Georgetown including a trishaw ride.
Day 12 At leisure in Penang
Since this way the original British base in Malaya, the island obviously still has a colonial feel. After all, the last colonial administrator left only fifty years ago. But it is also an Asian country with Indian, Chines and Malaysian influences. Our hotel is close to the center of town so it is a good base for individual exploration especially by trishaw. Tonight we enjoy a farewell dinner in the hotel's renowned restaurant.
Day 13 Return to USA
Our driver will be waiting for the journey to the airport where we will board our flight to the connect to the US, arriving back in the afternoon having gained back our "lost" day.
Available Year Round
Escorted Luxury Tour - Penang, Brunei and Borneo ULSM04 Location and other villas and tours nearby
Disclaimer: Pins in map may not be accurate if Google Maps cannot find the exact address. In this case an approximation is made.
Tour Location / Places Visiteds
Kuala-Lumpur, Lota Kinabalu, Brunei, Kuching, Penang
Additional Pricing Information
- Superior Rooms at the properties indicated in the accommodations area (We reserve the right to substitute a property of equal quality in advance of departure should the designated hotel be unavailable)
- Private Transfers to and from the airport at destination
- All meals as indicated on the itinerary by B=Breakfast, L=Lunch and D=Dinner
- Private guides for city explorations and private driver/guide while traveling.
- Entrance fees to all museums, attractions and other venues as indicated on the daily itinerary
- Baggage handling at all hotels
- All applicable taxes and service fees
Services Not Included
- International airfare (round-trip from hometown departure gateway to destination)
- Beverages with included meals (unless otherwise indicated on itinerary page)
- Any meals not indicated on the Itinerary page
- Items of a personal nature e.g. minibar, film, postcards etc.
- Gratuities to Guides and Driver/Guides (we provide suggested guidelines for your selected destination in your pre-departure material)
- Any passport or visa fees or government departure taxes (It is the traveler’s responsibility to secure the latest informationregarding passports and visa requirements)