Day 1 Depart USA
- The serenity of a balloon ride over the plains followed by a champagne breakfast in the bush
- Staying at a deluxe boutique hotel located on the former coffee farm of Karen Blixen, author of “Out of Africa”
- The scenic drive from Kigali to Parc des Volcans in Rwanda
- A life-changing personal encounter with Mountain Gorillas in their native habitat
- The luxury of your own butler at a private villa on the Indian Ocean
Your East African adventure begins as you depart the USA bound for Africa arriving in Nairobi the following afternoon.
Day 2 Welcome to Kenya and the Masai Mara
You arrive in Nairobi in the early afternoon and are met by our representative who will take you to your waiting car for the trip to the domestic airport where your aircraft is waiting to fly to the Masai Mara and Governors' Il Moran Camp which is located in a corner of the Masai Mara described as the "the best wildlife real estate in the world". Herds of plains game roam the rolling grasslands, big cats prowl, and families of elephants stroll majestically past. Upon arrival you will be met and taken to your tent strategically sited overlooking the Mara River in the shade of old African Fig trees. Tonight dinner with wine under the stars and then a good night's sleep in your spacious luxury tent.
Day 3 A Balloon Safari over the Mara
The Mara from a balloon is one of the most spectacular sights on earth and today you will have the chance to see the whole scope of the Mara in perfect silence and peace. Your adventure begins just before dawn when flames from the balloon's burners light the darkness as the crew inflates their craft. As the first rays of sunlight flicker across the skies, the inflated balloon begins to rise. Suspended in a basket beneath your balloon, you are off on a game viewing adventure with an entirely different perspective. As you float over the plains, the forest and the Mara River, you hear the sounds from below drift clearly upwards; a lion's roar, elephants crashing through the bush, screeching baboons perched in the tips of trees. For an hour or so your drift wherever the air currents take you, then you return to earth with a champagne breakfast, cooked before your eyes on the plains of the Masai Mara. After breakfast you return to camp where you have a chance to relax in the heat of the day. In the evening another game drive offers another opportunity to view the wildlife.
Day 4 Game Viewing on the Mara
Today you will leave your vehicle behind and take a walking safari with one of the camps armed guides for a chance to capture the true thrill of the bush. You'll track game unsure what waits around the next corner, giraffe, buffalo, even lion, and at the same time learn about the smallest details of bush life and the traditional Masai uses of the indigenous plant. At the end of it all waits another sumptuous barbecue breakfast complete with champagne. In the afternoon you will drive out to one of the languid pools where hippos escape the heat of the day. Another evening game drive completes your day on the Mara.
Day 5 Exploring Nairobi
In the morning, after your early morning game drive, you are taken to the airstrip where your aircraft waits to take you to Nairobi. Upon arrival you are met by your guide who will first take you to the world famous Carnivore restaurant where meat is on the menu both domesticated and wild, the lamb is good but so too are Zebra and Crocodile. After a hearty lunch you will go to the Karen Blixen Museum to relive her time in Africa from 1914 to 1931 which formed the basis for her book "Out of Africa". You will also visit the giraffe orphanage where giraffes are reared for a return to the wild and visit a local craft center. Your guide than takes you to your hotel which is located close to the Museum and on the land that once belonged to the Baroness. Dinner is in the hotel's elegant dining room.
Day 6 Kigali and the “Thousand Hills”
After breakfast you are transferred to the airport for the flight to Kigali in the nation of Rwanda. The flight takes a little over an hour. Upon arrival you are met by your guide who along with your driver will take you on a scenic drive through the "thousand hills" of Rwanda. You will make your way through the rich lowland farms before you reach your home for the next four nights, the Sabyinyo Silverback Lodge. The lodge is situated in North Western Rwanda in the foothills of the mighty Virunga's, the chain of 15,000 foot volcanoes stretching through Rwanda, Uganda and the Democratic Republic of Congo. The lodge affords wonderful views of the volcanoes and the surrounding countryside. Each private cottage comes with fireplaces, dressing rooms and stylish bathrooms. Once checked in you are free to enjoy the views from your terrace before cocktails and dinner with wine.
Day 7 The Golden Monkeys and the Rain Forest
After breakfast you will be taken to the park headquarters to begin your hike into the rainforest in search of the elusive Golden Monkeys considered to be the rarest of primates and found only in this area. As you search for the monkeys you will be immersed in a true rain forest where hundreds of bird species and plant life surround you. You may even spot the trail of Elephants. When you sight the elusive monkeys you have a maximum of one hour to spend observing them in order to maintain a healthy environment for the animals. Depending on the success of the search, this can be a full day endeavor and a box lunch is provided. Upon completion of the trek you return to the camp for a warm bath and a cocktail enjoyed as the sun sets.
Day 8 Gorillas in the Mist
Given the high altitude of the park and especially the habitat of the Mountain Gorilla, the area is many times covered by low hanging clouds creating a mist-like atmosphere. Today you will participate in one of the most dramatic, thrilling and poignant wildlife experiences available to humans. The ability to spend time with creatures three times the size of a man yet gentle and accepting of a respectful presence. You again will enter the park with a skilled ranger who will take you to an area where a group of gorillas is known to reside although they do move around. Once located, you will have an hour to spend with these magnificent distant relatives and watch them feeding, sunning themselves and even at play. Your guide will allow close interaction keeping in mind your safety and that of the Gorillas. You return down the mountainside with a sense of awe and humility; one of a relatively few people able to say they have had such an experience.
Day 9 From the Mountains to the Shore
This morning you are picked up by your guide and driven back to Kigali where you board your plane for the trip to Nairobi. Upon landing you are transferred to the domestic airport where an aircraft is waiting to take you to an airstrip on the Indian Ocean Coast and the Alfajiri Villas located on Diani Beach. Upon arrival you will be taken to your Villa where you have a chance to relax, take a dip in the pool or the ocean. Dinner this evening can either be served in your villa or in the dining room.
Days 10- 12 Enjoying the Alfajiri Lifestyle
For the next three days you can do as much or as little as you want. You can play golf, snorkel in the warm waters of the Indian Ocean or enjoy a relaxing massage since, along with all your meals and drinks, they are included. If you want to be convivial you can go to the bar and dining room for drinks and dinner or you can stay in your villa and be served by your butler. No matter how much or how little you do at the end of the Alfajiri experience you will be stress-free by the time you leave.
Day 13 Returning Home
After breakfast, you have the morning to enjoy a last swim in the Indian Ocean or a walk along the beach. After lunch you will be taken to the airstrip for the flight to Nairobi connecting with your international flight back home.
Day 14 Arrive in the USA
You arrive back home at breakfast time.
Available Year Round
African Safari in Kenya - Plains, Mountains and Shore ULEA07 Location and other villas and tours nearby
Disclaimer: Pins in map may not be accurate if Google Maps cannot find the exact address. In this case an approximation is made.
Tour Location / Places Visiteds
Masai Mara, Nairobi, Parc des Volcans, Rwanda, Diani Beach
Additional Pricing Information
- All air transportation as part of the program offered including private and charter aircraft. (On those programs requiring private aircraft flights, you will be limited to 33lbs of luggage which can be stored in the safari luggage which we provide to you. Additional luggage will be stored for you for the rest of your trip. In the private camps, daily laundry is available (and, in most cases included).
- Luxury rail travel as indicated
- Superior Rooms at the properties indicated in the accommodations area (We reserve the right to substitute a property of equal quality in advance of departure should the designated hotel be unavailable)
- On Safari, only private camps are used and include all meals and all game viewing in most camps, house beer, wine, spirits and soft drinks ( indicated on itinerary)
- Private Transfers to and from the airport at destination
- All meals as indicated on the itinerary by B=Breakfast, L=Lunch and D=Dinner
- Private guides for city explorations and private driver/guide while traveling.
- Baggage handling at all hotels and camps
- All applicable taxes and service fees
Services Not Included
- International airfare (round-trip from hometown departure gateway to destination)
- Beverages with included meals (unless otherwise indicated on itinerary page)
- Any meals not indicated on the Itinerary page
- Items of a personal nature e.g. minibar, film, postcards etc.
- Gratuities to Guides and Driver/Guides (we provide suggested guidelines for your selected destination in your pre-departure material)
- Any passport or visa fees or government departure taxes (It is the traveler’s responsibility to secure the latest information regarding passports and visa requirements)
Other Nearby Tours and Activities