- Being one of a few guests in a game park the size of Switzerland.
- Staying in a lodge once used by Princes Charles, William and Harry.
- Seeing hippos and crocodiles close up from your own boat.
- Staying overnight in exotic Dar Es Salaam.
Day 1 Depart USA
Your discovery of Southern Tanzania begins as you board your overnight flight to Europe where you connect to a flight to Tanzania's exotic coastal capital, Dar es Salaam.
Day 2 Welcome to Dar Es Salaam
You arrive in Dar Es Salaam in the afternoon and, after clearing arrival formalities you are me by our representative whho will escort you to your waiting car which will take you to your iconic hotel located on the coast of the Indian Ocean. You have a chance to relax and perhaps take a dip in the rooftop pool before having a light supper and a good night's rest.
Day 3 Flight to Selous Game Reserve
A morning flight takes you to Selous and its game preserve. Although only a small portion is currently available for tourism, the entire reserve is the size of Switzerland and represents 5% of all of Tanzanian land. Selous is a combination of open woodlands, plains and deep forests and since it is relatively unvisited, game abounds. It also has a large water component of lagoons, sandbanks and lakes all fed by the Rufiji River. Your luxury lodge is situated on the river. Each tent is fully equipped and built on stilts to enhance the game viewing.
Day 4 Selous Game Viewing by Boat and Vehicle
To those who know and love the African bush, the Selous is one of Africa's best kept secrets. It has hosted Prince Charles along with his two sons Princes William and Harry. As you begin your exploration you will see why. You may start out this morning with a boat ride to visit up close the many elephants, hippos and crocodiles that inhabit the river. After a break for lunch it may be good to take a vehicle to go in search of lion or the more illusive leopard. As you dine this evening don't be surprised to look out and see a nearby elephant enjoying its evening meal too.
Day 5 A Walking Safari in Search of the Long-Horned Eland
The Selous is home to a large herd of Eland reputedly with the longest horns in East Africa. Best seen on a walking safari you will set out with an armed ranger (just in case) to explore the reserve at eye level. A late afternoon game viewing ends your day. After dinner you turn out the light to listen to the lion's roar trying to judge how close...
Day 6 Flight to Ruaha
Today you fly west to the Reserve at Ruaha which is the second largest park in Tanzania after Serengeti but visited by very few tourists. You will be staying at Jongomero Camp which, is located on the Jongomero Sand River. Because it is the only camp in the area, game viewing is very private After arrival you have time for an afternoon game viewing.
Days 7- 8 Exploring Ruaha Reserve
If you like elephant, this is the place to be. Although dramatically reduced by poachers in the 60's, conservation has now allowed the population to rebound to over 12,000 one of the largest in Africa. In addition there are large herds of antelope and buffalo. Of course, where you have large game herds you also have lion, leopard as well as packs of African hunting dog. You search for them all during your game drives. Each evening enjoy sundowners before a gourmet dinner enhanced by the beauty of the surroundings.
Day 9 Fly to "Dar" with Dayroom at Hotel
Today you will fly to Dar Es Salaam where you will transfer to the Kempinski where a dayroom has been reserved. You have the chance to enjoy the hotel's facilities and the ocean views before having dinner and then heading to the airport for your flight to Europe which leaves late at night or early in the morning. You will connect in Europe for your return to the USA.
Day 10 Arrive in USA
You arrive in the USA in the afternoon.
Available Year Round
Luxury Safari Tours - Discovering Southern Tanzania ULEA11 Location and other villas and tours nearby
Disclaimer: Pins in map may not be accurate if Google Maps cannot find the exact address. In this case an approximation is made.
Tour Location / Places Visiteds
Dar Es Salaam, Selous Game Reserve, Ruaha National Park, Dar Es Salaam
Additional Pricing Information
- All air transportation as part of the program offered including private and charter aircraft. (On those programs requiring private aircraft flights, you will be limited to 33lbs of luggage which can be stored in the safari luggage which we provide to you. Additional luggage will be stored for you for the rest of your trip. In the private camps, daily laundry is available (and, in most cases included).
- Luxury rail travel as indicated.
- Superior Rooms at the properties indicated in the accommodations area (We reserve the right to substitute a property of equal quality in advance of departure should the designated hotel be unavailable).
- On Safari, only private camps are used and include all meals and all game viewing in most camps, house beer, wine, spirits and soft drinks ( indicated on itinerary).
- Private Transfers to and from the airport at destination.
- All meals as indicated on the itinerary by B=Breakfast, L=Lunch and D=Dinner
- Private guides for city explorations and private driver/guide while traveling.
- Baggage handling at all hotels and camps.
- All applicable taxes and service fees.
Services Not Included
- International airfare (round-trip from Hometown departure gateway to destination)
- Beverages with included meals (unless otherwise indicated on itinerary page)
- Any meals not indicated on the Itinerary page
- Items of a personal nature e.g. minibar, film, postcards etc.
- Gratuities to Guides and Driver/Guides (we provide suggested guidelines for your selected destination in your pre-departure material)
- Any passport or visa fees or government departure taxes (It is the traveler’s responsibility to secure the latest information regarding passports and visa requirements)
Other Nearby Tours and Activities