Day 1 Depart USA
- Visiting the home of Karen Blixen of “ Out of Africa” fame
- Viewing Mt. Kilimanjaro from your private tent in Amboseli
- Flying over the Great Rift Valley and viewing the game below
- Your own butler at your lodge in the Maasai Mara
Your Kenyan adventure begins as you depart the USA bound for Africa. You arrive in Nairobi the following day.
Day 2 Welcome to Nairobi
You arrive in Nairobi in the late afternoon and after arrival formalities you are met by our representative and escorted to your car which will take you to your hotel, a Nairobi institution since 1904. Depending on how you feel you might try a light supper or head straight to bed for a good night's rest in anticipation of the adventures ahead.
Day 3 Highlights of Nairobi
After breakfast you are met by your guide and driver for an exploration of some of the historic and cultural highlights of Nairobi, Kenya's capital city. Your first stop will be Daphne Sheldrick's Elephant Orphanage where young elephants are raised to be returned to the wild. You have the opportunity to "adopt" an elephant if you choose. You then move on to Karen Blixen's House built in 1912 and familiar to readers of her book, "Out of Africa". You will have a light lunch at the Utamaduni Craft Centre where you have the chance to view crafts made by the Masai and also by ex-Nairobi street children. After lunch you go to the Giraffe Centre dedicated to the preservation of Rothschild giraffes. You get the opportunity to meet the giraffes in person before returning to your hotel. This evening you will dine at a Nairobi landmark, the Carnivore restaurant, as its name suggests, meat is the specialty with a focus on exotic game.
Day 4 Morning Flight to Amboseli
After breakfast you are driven to the domestic airport where your aircraft is waiting to fly you over the scenic Athi Plains and into the bush country of Amboseli famous for huge herds of elephant. Your base will be Porini Camp, an exclusive bush camp of just nine tents in the Selenkay Conservancy, a private reserve beside Amboseli National Park in unspoilt wilderness and well off the beaten track; the animals are truly wild and not yet habituated to the presence of vehicles. This is also an important dispersal area and rangeland for wildlife migrating out of Amboseli. You enjoy a game drive in the afternoon and later a "sundowner" followed by dinner.
Day 5 Day and night game viewing in Amboseli
A game run in the morning allows you the opportunity to search for the common species of East African Wildlife that may be seen including lions, giraffes, wildebeests, wart hogs, zebras, gazelles, hyenas, ostrich, hippos and baboons. But, set against the back-drop of Mt. Kilimanjaro, it is the elephants that stand out and you will see your share on your morning game drive. After taking a break for lunch back at camp, you enjoy a guided nature walk within the preserve prior to dinner. Following dinner you go out on a night game drive permitted on private ranches but not in the parks. Here is your chance to see animals in their nocturnal habitats.
Day 6 Samburu Game Reserve and Joy’s Camp
This morning you will head to the airstrip where your aircraft will take you to the Samburu Game reserve, a semi arid, open savannah plain in Kenya's Northern Province. Upon landing you will be taken to Joy's Camp built on the site of Joy Adamson's tented home in Shaba National Reserve. It was also the home of Penny the Leopard, the heroine of her last book. The 10 chic, canvas bedrooms are set raised off the ground with breathtaking views of the surrounding hills. After lunch and a dip in the pool, you are ready for an evening game drive. Later you return for "sundowners" and dinner while still continuing to observe game. The camp overlooks a large natural spring where elephant and lion jostle for watering rights with herds of buffalo and the rare desert species of Beisa Oryx, Reticulated Giraffe, and Grevy's Zebra.
Day 7 Exploring the Shaba Reserve
You will devote the morning to a guided bush walk of the Ewaso Nyiro River and Gorge before using the 4wd drive vehicles to visit the Magado Crater which has sides 250 feet high and, in the dry season, as the water evaporates, provides access to soda for the local tribes. Lunch and a refreshing swim help you avoid the heat of midday. Later on you enjoy a dinner out in the bush before embarking on a night game drive.
Day 8 From Samburo to the Maasai Mara
This morning you fly to your luxury camp in the Maasai Mara. Upon arrival, you have lunch and a chance to relax before heading out on an evening game drive. Your hotel is situated on the banks of the Mara River so you have the opportunity to enjoy dinner as hippos frolic in the nearby waters.
Days 9- 10 Masai Mara Game Viewing in Vehicle, on Foot and by Balloon
The Maasai Mara is an extension of the Serengeti National Park from which the Wildebeest, Zebras and Gazelles migrate every year from June through September before conducting a migration back to Serengeti in October. At its peak there are over 1.5 million animals involved which obviously brings the predators like Lions and Cheetahs. Apart from the seasonal migration, the game viewing is superb at other times of the year with the "big five" in abundance. This is Africa as you picture it. In fact, most of the movie "Out of Africa" was filmed here. Your morning and evening game viewings allow you to take it all in and then sit at the dinner table reviewing the day's sightings with your limited number of fellow guests. As a special treat we have included a dawn balloon safari on one of your two days. You rise early and watch as the balloons are filled. You board and take off at the speed of the winds and drift over the plain as the sun rises. Since you are traveling at the speed of the wind there is no noise and you can actually hear the elephants pull leaves down as you pass over head. At the end of the ride you are treated to a champagne breakfast out in the bush.
Day 11 Morning Game Viewing and a Dayroom in Nairobi
After a morning game drive and lunch, you head to the airstrip for your flight back to Nairobi where you will be met by your guide and driver and escorted to your hotel where you have the chance to relax, have dinner and then head to the airport for your late evening departure back to the USA.
Day 12 Arrive in USA
Your flight returns to the USA in the afternoon.
Available Year Round
Extreme Safari Tour - Kenya By Plane and Balloon ULEA06 Location and other villas and tours nearby
Disclaimer: Pins in map may not be accurate if Google Maps cannot find the exact address. In this case an approximation is made.
Tour Location / Places Visiteds
Nairobi, Amboseli, Samburo (Shaba Reserve), Maasai Mara
Additional Pricing Information
- All air transportation as part of the program offered including private and charter aircraft. (On those programs requiring private aircraft flights, you will be limited to 33lbs of luggage which can be stored in the safari luggage which we provide to you. Additional luggage will be stored for you for the rest of your trip. In the private camps, daily laundry is available (and, in most cases included).
- Luxury rail travel as indicated
- Superior Rooms at the properties indicated in the accommodations area (We reserve the right to substitute a property of equal quality in advance of departure should the designated hotel be unavailable)
- On Safari, only private camps are used and include all meals and all game viewing in most camps, house beer, wine, spirits and soft drinks ( indicated on itinerary)
- Private Transfers to and from the airport at destination
- All meals as indicated on the itinerary by B=Breakfast, L=Lunch and D=Dinner
- Private guides for city explorations and private driver/guide while traveling.
- Baggage handling at all hotels and camps
- All applicable taxes and service fees
Services Not Included
- International airfare (round-trip from hometown departure gateway to destination)
- Beverages with included meals (unless otherwise indicated on itinerary page)
- Any meals not indicated on the Itinerary page
- Items of a personal nature e.g. minibar, film, postcards etc.
- Gratuities to Guides and Driver/Guides (we provide suggested guidelines for your selected destination in your pre-departure material)
- Any passport or visa fees or government departure taxes (It is the traveler’s responsibility to secure the latest information regarding passports and visa requirements)
Other Nearby Tours and Activities