- Taste wines that had appeal for Jane Austen, Charles Dickens and Napoleon
- Sampling the vintages of Paarl, Franschhoek and Stellenbosch
- A leisurely and appetizing lunch at La Petite Ferme just outside Franschhoek
- Staying and dining at the finest facilities in Winelands
Day 1 Depart USA
Your adventure begins as you depart the USA bound for South Africa and arrive in Cape Town the following evening.
Day 2 Arrival in Cape Town
Upon your evening arrival in Cape Town you will be met by your guide and personally escorted to your hotel which is located in a vineyard and yet only thirty minutes from Cape Town. The 200 acre estate has only 16 bedrooms, each with a private patio. It also has its own cricket pitch! After checking in you head for your room to get rested for the pleasures of the palate ahead.
Day 3 The Constantia Wine Route
In 1685 the governor of the Dutch colony, Simon van der Stel, planted his first vines at his estate called Constantia. These wines, over time, created a large following among the 18th and 19th Century aristocracy including such notables as Napoleon, Charles Dickens and Jane Austen. There are five major vineyards in the area, four of which, including your hotel, were part of the original Constantia estate. The one exception is Steenberg estate which was granted to a young widow by van der Stel and has been creating wines since 1695. You will taste some of these wines along with lunch. You will also have tastings at Klein Constantia, Groot Constantia and Buitenverwachting (beyond expectations) both reds and whites have won international awards for these vineyards. You end the day with a tasting menu at your hotel along with some of their appropriate wines.
Day 4 Following the Paarl Wine Route
Following breakfast, you will commence the relatively short journey to Paarl an attractive town known for its legendary reds. There are over thirty quality producers in the area and you will sample a couple before lunch at one of the vineyards. After a couple of more tastings you will check into your five star hotel which is situated just outside town. The original part of the house dates back to 1707. Tonight you will dine at Bosman's the hotel's restaurant, a Relais Gourmand winner.
Day 5 Exploring the Paarl Terroir
Today will be spent comparing some of the wines available in the region. Lunch will be at one of the vineyards. This evening you will dine at a charming restaurant in the town of Paarl
Day 6 The Vineyards and Vintages of Franschhoek
After breakfast your driver will take you south to the town of Franschhoek which was originally settled by French Huguenots who came to escape religious persecution and were invited by the Governor to assist in the development of the wine industry. Since it is less than ten miles, you have time to stop along the way for some tastings and some inside tips from the winemakers. The town is considered to be one of the most picturesque in South Africa with art galleries, boutiques and restaurants. In the early evening you reach your hotel which is, itself a vineyard with over 30 acres under vine with Sauvignon Blanc, Chardonnay, Merlot, Shiraz and Cabernet Sauvignon.
Day 7 The French Touch in Winemaking
You have the full day to try out some of the top vintages in and around Franschhoek. Today's tasting expedition will be highlighted by a leisurely and appetizing lunch at La Petite Ferme, itself a boutique winery but noted for its magnificent views of the vineyards and the valley below and a luncheon menu to match the view.
Day 8 On the Road to Stellenbosch
In addition to being a well known wine area, Stellenbosch is also home to South Africa's second oldest university and this combination of academia and viniculture creates a town of sophistication and good taste. Our home for the next two nights will be a five star working wine estate built around a 300 year old Cape Dutch manor house. Fine antiques and two outstanding restaurants add to the charm. After some judicious tastings today, you validate the Governors' Restaurant's reputation for fine dining.
Day 9 A Sampling of Stellenbosch Vintages
On this, your final day of tastings we will select certain vineyards noted for particular varietals and conduct a progressive tasting of their various vintages. This will give you a chance to comparatively savor some of the best that South Africa has to offer. This evening you toast the end of your journey at one of the town's better restaurants.
Day 10 Cape Town and the Return to the USA
After breakfast your driver will be ready to take you to the airport in Cape Town where you will start your return to the United States.
Day 11 Arrive in the USA
You arrive in the US at Breakfast time.
Available Year Round
Private Ultra-Luxury Wine Vacations - Vineyards of South Africa ULSA09 Location and other villas and tours nearby
Disclaimer: Pins in map may not be accurate if Google Maps cannot find the exact address. In this case an approximation is made.
Tour Location / Places Visiteds
Cape Town, Paarl, Franschhoek, Stellenbosch Valley
Additional Pricing Information
- All air transportation as part of the program offered including private and charter aircraft. (On those programs requiring private aircraft flights, you will be limited to 33lbs of luggage which can be stored in the safari luggage which we provide to you. Additional luggage will be stored for you for the rest of your trip. In the private camps, daily laundry is available (and, in most cases included).
- Luxury rail travel as indicated
- Superior Rooms at the properties indicated in the accommodations area (We reserve the right to substitute a property of equal quality in advance of departure should the designated hotel be unavailable)
- On Safari, only private camps are used and include all meals and all game viewing in most camps, house beer, wine, spirits and soft drinks (indicated on itinerary)
- Private Transfers to and from the airport at destination
- All meals as indicated on the itinerary by B=Breakfast, L=Lunch and D=Dinner
- Private guides for city explorations and private driver/guide while traveling.
- Baggage handling at all hotels and camps
- All applicable taxes and service fees
Services Not Included
- International airfare (round-trip from hometown departure gateway to destination)
- Beverages with included meals (unless otherwise indicated on itinerary page)
- Any meals not indicated on the Itinerary page
- Items of a personal nature e.g. minibar, film, postcards etc.
- Gratuities to Guides and Driver/Guides (we provide suggested guidelines for your selected destination in your pre-departure material)
- Any passport or visa fees or government departure taxes (It is the traveler’s responsibility to secure the latest information regarding passports and visa requirements)
Other Nearby Tours and Activities